Academic and professional qualifications
MBChB, MMed (Paeds) and Medical researcher with experience in conducting clinical trials, epidemiological studies.
Professional/work /research experience
In KEMRI Dr. Njenga has substantively contributed to scientific review process in KEMRI for over 15 years and has researched on and managed clinical Paediatric HIV for more than 20yrs cumulatively.
Research Grants/Current/Previous last three (3) years.
- The Double Burden of Malnutrition: Prevalence, Associated Risk Factors and the Impact of Multiple Micronutrient Supplementation Children 3-10 Years Old. A GOK grant
- A bioequivalent pilot study of a locally-produced brand of enalapril tablets: a key step towards implementation of bioequivalent study regulatory requirements in East Africa. East Africa Community Grant, undergoing ethically approval
SELECTED PUBLICATIONS /PAPERS PRESENTED
- Efficacy and Safety of AmBisome in Combination with Sodium Stibogluconate or Miltefosine and Miltefosine Monotherapy for African Visceral Leishmaniasis: Phase II Randomized TrialMonique Wasunna , Simon Njenga, Manica Balasegaram, Neal Alexander, Raymond Omollo, Tansy Edwards, Thomas P. C. Dorlo, Brima Musa, Mohammed Hassan Sharaf Ali, Mohammed Yasein Elamin, George Kirigi, Rashid Juma †, Anke E. Kip, Gerard J. Schoone, Asrat Hailu, Joseph Olobo, Sally Ellis, Robert Kimutai, Susan Wells, Eltahir Awad Gasim Khalil, Nathalie Strub Wourgaft, Fabiana Alves, Ahmed Musa.
- Sodium Stibogluconate (SSG) & Paromomycin Combination Compared to SSG for Visceral Leishmaniasis in East Africa: A Randomised Controlled TrialAhmed Musa, Eltahir Khalil, Asrat Hailu, Joseph Olobo, Manica Balasegaram, Raymond Omollo, Tansy Edwards, Juma Rashid, Jane Mbui, Brima Musa, Abuzaid Abdalla Abuzaid, Osama Ahmed, Ahmed Fadlalla, Ahmed El-Hassan, Marius Mueller, Geoffrey Mucee, Simon Njoroge, Veronica Manduku, Geoffrey Mutuma, Lilian Apadet, Hudson Lodenyo, Dedan Mutea, George Kirigi, Sisay Yifru, Getahun Mengistu, Zewdu Hurissa, Workagegnehu Hailu, Teklu Weldegebreal, Hailemariam Tafes, Yalemtsehay Mekonnen, Eyasu Makonnen, Serah Ndegwa, Patrick Sagaki, Robert Kimutai, Josephine Kesusu, Rhoda Owiti, Sally Ellis, Monique Wasunna Published: June 19, 2012 https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pntd.0001674
- Bettylou Sherry Embree J, Njenga, S et al Socio-demographic characteristics, care, feeding practices, and growth of children born to HIV-1 infected and uninfected mothers in Nairobi, Kenya. Tropical Medicine and International Health 2000 5(10) 678-686.1998: Mother-Child Clan 1 HLA Concordance increases perinatal Human Immunodeficiency Virus Type 1 Transmission. The Journal of Infection Diseases 1998; 177: 551-6. Kelly S. MacDonald, Joanne Embree, Simon Njenga et al.