The Immunology Division is mandates include:
- Carry out Stem Cell Research
- Diagnosis, prevention and control of Lymphatic filariasis.
- CD4/CD8 testing in HIV/AIDS patients as a service to the scientific community and to the general public.
- Training in flow cytometry technology
Current Research Grants
- Establishment of a Stem Cell Research Unit in KEMRI.
- Generation, characterization, maintenance and propagation of mice Bone Marrow derived mesenchymal stem cells and their application in the pre-clinical Animal model of diabetes.
- Restorative capacity of Bone Marrow Derived- Stem Cells and their Immune-modulatory effects on Cutaneous Leishmaniasis skin lesions in BALB/c mice.
- Role of Plasmodium falciparum HSP90 in antimalarial drug treatment outcome in a malaria-endemic region, Kisumu Kenya.
- Development and Evaluation of Helicase Dependent Isothermal DNA Amplification Method as Point-of-Care Diagnosis of Wuchereria bancrofti.
- Evaluation of Isothermal Amplification methods and development of an Oligochromatographic dipstick assay for point-of-care diagnosis of Wuchereria bancrofti and disease surveillance in Kenya.
- Mapping emerging infectious disease in Kenya within the context of climate change.
- Inactivation of the PRH/HHEX tumour suppressor and its effects on inflammatory signalling in prostate cancer
Division Ag. Head: Ms. Dorcas Wachira
Other Scientific Staff:
- Ms. Nancy Kinyatta
- Rukiya Haji
- Ms. Emily Waigi – on study leave
- Ms. Rosemary Githae
- Mr. Japheth Lusweti
- Ms. Peninah Achayo